The ULB, with 26,000 students and a very cosmopolitan body of staff, is an intrinsically international institution.
ULB counts 1300 academics and more than 2300 researchers.
The ULB is a multicultural institution which has 13 faculties, schools and institutes and is a comprehensive university providing academic tuition in all disciplines and study cycles.
With three Nobel Prize winners, a Fields medal, three Wolf Prizes, 9 European Research Council Grants, two Marie Curie Prizes, 29% of all the Francqui prizes awarded, the university is a major research centre which is recognized by the academic community over the world.
Regarding computer science and software development, most of the academics and researchers are attached to the Applied Sciences Faculty (Engineering School) and/or to the Sciences Faculty Dept of Computer Science).
More than 200 persons are directly involved in computer science research and development. But many others are highly skilled in programming for their specific area.
Products & Services
ULB has developed high level expertise in the following fields:
- Software Engineering
- Distributed Systems
- Data Bases Design
- Web Technologies
- Security Cryptography Authentication
- Image Processing
- Artificial Intelligence
- Optimization Control and Regulation
- Knowledge Management
- Business Intelligence
- Computer Aided Design
- Data mining
Many softwares have been developed for years, with various applications in logistics, bioinformatics, mechanics of fluids, econometrics, medical devices control, virtual reality, robotics,... among others.
ULB has created in the Brussels-Capital Region 8 spin-offs directly from its computer science research Labs:
- Decis (1992) Planning, scheduling and access time control
- Optimal Design (1998) optimization of industrial processes
- Mentis (2005) Solutions in datamining and textmining
- No Link & Everyone (2008) mobile telephony
- D-Sight (2010) Software to make multicriteria decisions
- SQR Technologies (2010) Computer services based on quantum technologies
- Amoobi (2011) Indoor positioning and personalized information on mobile devices
- InSilico Genomics (2012) Store, manage, share and export genomics datasets
Note also that ULB holds 158 families of patents. Among them, about ten have a strong software component, in particular for medical applications.